PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating. B737 vs. A320
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2009, 05:21
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big gamble with no job offer. If you don't use the rating within a reasonable time it will be useless. i.e. a three year old type rating and no hours on type isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Once you have time on type it's much easier to be employed if you haven't flown that type for a while.

At the moment you would be competing against pilots with plenty of recent experience and guess who the employers will choose.

Even with the rating you will still need some training to be put on the line and then sectors flown with a training captain before you are released. For the first few hundred hours while you are learning the captains workload is greatly increased. Whilst you may be licenced on type it takes a while before you're fully pulling your weight.

For the moment, if you've got a job hang on to it. Keep your money in the bank and start putting out applications. Use your time productively to prepare for the next up turn. Get your ATPL and start studying up on jet operations and multi crew stuff.

BTW I did exactly what you're thinking of in late 2005 and got lucky in the 2006 jobs boom. Would I do it today ? NO WAY