PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF risk
Thread: QF risk
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2009, 03:58
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The previous thread, in my opinion, epitomised the sad state of Australian culture, and the sad state of professionalism in Australian aviation.

It seems to me that the majority of posters wanted to lambast the crew for their perceived mistake, with out any one knowing all the facts. In psychological terms, I believe this phenomena is typically human, to reinforce the confidence of the critic.

I for one can imagine any number of scenarios that could see the gear not down when "normally" expected. I have been guilty of getting the gear out of sequence on the odd occasion, when managing a multitude of inputs during a busy and changing approach. Fortunately I haven't got to the point of being < 1000 AAL, and always picked it up, either noticing myself, or, wondering why Bloggs hasn't responded to my incorrect call for more flap but at the same time, hasn't actually annunciated their query, or confusion at more flap instead of gear.

Short of a gear malfunction, it's probably safe to say that no pilot has ever intentionally landed with the gear up. Ergo, they all thought the gear was down. Obviously making a mistake, something humans are very good at.

If the public statements, that the crew had initiated a missed approach and during that manoeuvre, the GPWS sounded, are correct, why are so many, presumably Australian, fellow pilots so happy to criticise? Why not take the attitude of, "I wonder what circumstances caused the crew to make that error"? And, why flame some one for making an error?

I believe that fearing that I am not immune to making a gear up landing, reduces my chances of doing so, because of the heightened vigilance on final. As some one posted on the last thread, FUC.