PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC instruction and intructors
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2009, 13:59
RustyNail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Realistic, not Idealistic

"I was being a little idealistic, and thought maybe some other objective qualification was needed, as teaching capacity and abilities"

Dr. Triax

I have worked in several ANSP's and agree with the other comments made on here that a basic 12 months qualification and an OJT course is all you need in most places to become an instructor.

That is not to say you become a good instructor, I am of the opinion that meeting minimum course and time requirements is a good start, but refresher courses, human factors courses, systems for adult learning, communication skills and most importantly, teaching abilities, should all be part of any skill set that a "good" instructor must posess.

Eurocontrol runs fantastic courses in Lux for both OJT and classroom instructional techniques, Airways runs week-long refresher courses every (5) years I think it is to keep everybody up to date with the latest training techniques and equipment.

Proper training and natural ability can make a good instructor, more
experience helps, but experience alone does not automatically make you a better instructor.