PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A stunning tribute to you all, you should all watch this..
Old 5th Nov 2009, 09:32
deeceethree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, sorry SS. I do not believe you have explained your "niggle". Not for me anyhow.

The poppy has popularly been associated with the battlefield and remembrance of the fallen since one Madame E. Guerin noted its use as a symbol and started promoting it as a fund-raising emblem at and around Armistice day 1920, to raise funds for children orphaned by the Great War.

However, as I have said, the poppy was already associated with the battlefield - John McCrae's poem of 1915, before the war has even ended, included the following:
"In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below."
After Madame Guerin's first effort, the poppy was very quickly adopted by Canada, Britain, the USA, Australia as a symbol of rememberance - all of them predominantly Christian countries. That is not to denigrate, in any way, the service and sacrifice of the many people of different faiths who particpated in the Great War, and wars since then. However, at any gathering around a village or town memorial, particularly 11th November, the cross predominates amongst the tributes placed - that is just a result of numbers, not discrimination.

No, I think your dig at someone's online visual and audio tribute was just that - a petty PC dig. You didn't have to do it. You could have quietly voiced your 'niggle' to yourself and moved on. But you chose not to.

I'm not sure that you would have voiced any 'concern' had some tribute of some sort been made with emphasis on another faith such as Islam or Judaism - you wouldn't have dared! You would have been afraid of being labelled a racist or faith-hater. But because someone who perhaps has a a Christian leaning posted a tribute that is both moving and laudable, you had a go. Christianity is an easy, safe target for you. Lame, very lame.

Last edited by deeceethree; 5th Nov 2009 at 10:05. Reason: Date correction