PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bonds. Legal or not in UK Law?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2001, 03:03
Raw Data

Flypuppy-

No-one denies that bonding does happen (to a very limited extent) in some IT companies, but it is far from the norm, particularly amongst the major players. I know this because my sister did three years training with IBM, then left. No bonds, not even a objection from the company. Same goes for a current colleague who used to work for Microsoft. My examples are real-world ones.

Just to clear up another point, back in the midst of the last major pilot shortage, it was relatively common for companies to buy off bonds in order to get pilots. In fact, I still have several response letters from airlines from those days, saying that the information they needed was how many hours I had, what licence I held, and how much was outstanding on my bond. Many pilots changed employers and had their bonds paid, a little like the current EasyJet enticement.

One slightly amusing thing about all this, is the way in which companies who rigorously enforce bonds are usually the ones to try and get you to break yours. I saw an example of this just three weeks back! Rather gives the lie to InFins' management stance.