PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Qantas incident
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2009, 06:56
GaryGnu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RedTBar,

Until the report comes out everything we say is speculation....but to say the pilots and their actions are not being investigated is sheer rubbish.
The first part I agree with.

If second part is how you interpreted my comment then I am guilty of a clunky turn of phrase. Of course the pilots actions will be investigated, as will every other facet surrounding it.

That comment was a response to a post that concluded Who fkd up and how is the only thing that matters. That is self evidently a point of view that requires rebuttal (where was the why?). It is also a view prevalent throughout society that aviation, in particular, will have to resist if it is to maintain its mature, highly effective and informative safety investigation culture.

Everyone always wants someone to blame when something goes wrong. This is manifesting itself in any new regulation that we in aviation deal with these days, for every rule there must be someone responsible if it is not complied with. The lawyers just want someone to hang. The (now overturned) flight deck access rules were a case in point. The lawyers wrote it so the PIC was striclty liable if a flight deck door was left open/unlocked.

Spirax,

The media may have changed but I suspect you will find some airlines now do that sort of thing (crash comics/safety digest) online with secured websites.

Groaner,

I still disagree with your characterisation of the Qantas corporate communications response as quoted in the Sandilands article. The statement was:
there was no flight safety issue
There was never any mention of "no risk". A go around was conducted followed by a safe landing. The rest will have to wait till the report comes out.