PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bonds. Legal or not in UK Law?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2001, 00:42
Flypuppy

I currently work as a manager in an IT company and 2 types of training that we provide. One is the Required training. Without the skills and knowledge of this type of training the employee cannot do their job. For this, we "bond" the employee for 6 months, the level of repayment required reducing pro rata over time. If the company decide, or need, to fire the employee the 'bond'is not recovered. Is this the case with airline bonds?

The second type of training is Desirable training. This is where the training augments current skills but does not have a direct bearing on the employee's job. For this type of training the company will "bond" the employee for 12 months with the amount reducing pro rata per month. I have had one employee who did this type of training course and decided that they would skip off to another company 2 months after completing the training (the course cost in excess of GBP4500). I did on a point of principle persue the "bond" and the employee's new employer paid the outstanding balance. Would this sort of arrangement work in aviation? If not why not?