PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2002, 10:26
CRAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Raven 2 True!

The was a joint HeliAIR/Sloane Robinson conference at Helitech 2001 at which Frank Robinson was scheduled to speak & answer questions. However due to 9/11 he could not attend because of difficulties at the factory due to the flight restrictions opposed on US airspace at the time.

In his place one of his senior engineers provided a telephone conference to the audience. I believe his name was Pat Cox. During this one of the features that he commented on was that Robinson was currently flight testing an R44 with a fuel injected engine. So its true. That of course assumes that no other technical difficulties arised in the testing program!

I quizzed him about a turbocharged version instead (more power) but although a turbocharged engine has been tried, it cannot be used because it gets too hot. It is only cooled by the same squirrel cage fan.

There were some articles in the aviation press about a Lycomming 580 model, if you look at the Lycomming web page you'll see this engine is available so this might also be being considered - though i've heard no follow up on this.

As to the R66 I heard rumours about this machine back in 99 when I was in LA but it is unlikely to materialise in my opinion. The 22 and 44 slot directly into gaps in the market and provide very cost effect solutions due to the cost savings made by FR in his airframe design. In small piston engined helicopters this is a significant proportion of the cost due to the relatively small cost of piston engines for aircraft. If you try and apply the same technique to a turbine helicopter the saving wouldn't be as significant. There are no 'cheap' light turboshaft engines available for helicopters, and for light turbine helicopters the cost of the engine is very significant in terms of the overall cost of the aircraft therefore the cost saving approach Robinson has adopted for the 22 and 44 will be ineffective for a R66. Hence he will end up with an aircraft that costs roughly the same as the competition and doesn't do anything 'specific' better than the competition - Jetranger, EC120 etc etc. Since he wouldn't be able to make them any cheaper, he would get his volume and hence couldn't make his margin - it's not really worth his while pursuing the program. He would also have to consider aesthetics a little more carefully too with a bigger turbine machine if he were to dent the competition!

Hope this helps
CRAN

Last edited by CRAN; 27th Aug 2002 at 17:01.