PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beacon, Nav & Landing Lights
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2009, 20:12
bingofuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect your question will generate a large number of opinions and different procedures, but I will start with my tuppence worth.

Beacon - As you say, on before start and off after engine stopped, for the reasons you gave.

Nav lights - During the day I doubt if they have any real benefit to assist in making the aircraft conspicuous. However you will find that larger aircraft display nav lights generally all the time and especially on the ground when the apu is running.

Strobes - turn on when lining up and turn off when vacated the runway, and turn on if crossing an active runway. If your aircraft has no red beacon consider using the strobes as a means of warning people the engine is about to start (as well as the good old CLEAR PROP)

Landing/taxi lights - Yes bulbs are expensive, which is why a lot of people seem not to use them, they also blow on a regular basis. I would suggest 'on' for lining up and take off, and also turn 'on' when approaching, and when in the circuit. Some people fly all the time with the landing light on and I certaily would not say it was wrong to do so.

The bottom line is, lights help make your aircraft visible, which should assist in stopping other people colliding with it.Providing they are looking outside of the aircraft.

Look forward to other peoples views.