PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beacon, Nav & Landing Lights
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2009, 19:52
Ryan5252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Beacon, Nav & Landing Lights

Just wondering what the correct or general consensus is for the operation of aircraft lights. I fly a C152 and before engine is started to engine shut down the beacon is always on. Fair enough as I know the beacon to indicate the engine is live or about to become live. However, when conditions are 'average' - 'good' we only use the beacon. If the weather is less favorable i.e. cloudy, raining or visibility otherwise reduced we will turn on the Landing light for landing operations. I have only 11 hours logged to date but today was the first time we actually used the Nav lights as conditions were terrible. I am wondering why the instructor 'appears' to opt not to use any other lights other than the beacon? Personally, when I get my flying myself I will not consider flying without the Nav lights as to me it just could be the saving grace - the difference in between spotted in time or too late.
The only conclusion I have reached myself is it may be a cost saving attempt i.e. bulbs less likely to burn out if they are not used - but that sounds too trivial to my underdeveloped 'Student Brain'.

Your thoughts?