PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flexible "self-variable" pitch props?
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2009, 14:58
pheeel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flexible "self-variable" pitch props?

I should be doing something else but have a query - google does not reveal the answer nor does a pprune search...

Does anyone know if there any prop designs where the material is such that as you increase the engine rpm such as at take off, with zero forward speed and where the angle of attack of the blades is large, the prop "bends" under the resultant force of the airflow to provide a finer pitch, and when you enter the cruise and TAS increases, as you decrease engine RPM the prop bends back and coarsens? Sort of a self changing variable pitch prop dependant on engine rpm?

i'm sure I heard one of my old instructors talking about it years back about bush planes, but can't find anything on the web...could be using the wrong terminology.....

Sounds like a good, low maintenance idea to me, similar to the F1 teams who got banned from using "flexible wings" where more downforce was provided at low speeds, and less drag at high speeds.

as i said i should be doing something else but thought it'd be more fun to think about something completely random for a few mins...

cheers!