PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malgus, bloody Malgus - yet again (Mergedx9) Wish people would look before they post
Old 17th Jun 2002, 08:40
C Montgomery Burns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

If you go to their website via the link IFR kindly provided, you'll see that they seem to have three operations: aviation, cosmetic surgery and website design (site currently under construction!).

Go into aviation and click on 'About Us' and if you try to click on their 'Associate Director' and 'Associate Technical Director' (both of which are legally meaningless terms, btw) and you'll get an error 404 code. In other words, the company consists of a guy flying as an FO for Aer Lingus and his dad. Angus Campbell, one of the founders and the 'Operations Director' according to their 'News' page, has distanced himself from the company and I believe he has resigned ... could he know something the rest of us don't?

Whilst the cost of the course in Jerez is £60,000, on top of that you have to add the cost of accommodation, travel, €50 per week pocket money, training bond etc. That of course increases the odds of success, as it increases the number of mugs, er wide-eyed and bushy-tailed naive wannabes that have to sign up.

Next, click on 'Full Details'. The first thing that's apparent is that you are getting far from the 'full details' promised as they tell you that one of the most important aspects of the whole deal - repaying the money - will only be discussed with you if you get to the final stage! Question 21 of the FAQs states: 21>> Will Malgus Ltd help me find a job?
A. It is in our best interest to find you a job. We will do our best to keep you informed of possible openings. We will not guarantee any positions, however, if we do find you employment you must accept this position.
So, if they find you a job paying £1,000 per month - you have to take it ... and pay back £25,000 out of your earnings!

Last year, these guys claimed that they were being supported by Scottish Enterprise - and that was subsequently proven to have been a gross misstatement of the facts. In reality, they are just using a Scottish Enterprise 'hive' (Burnside House in Howood near Glasgow) and there is no 'support' beyond that provided by SE. Certainly, SE is not backing or underwriting them.

There's an old saying: if it sounds too good to be true, that's because it is. Caveat emptor is an even older one!