PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about the difference in the left and right seat controls on Airbus
Old 4th Nov 2009, 13:55
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm not test pilot or ergonomics expert. I'm only humble line pilot and I have never dwelt upon the issue of being right handed and having to steer with the left. I simply went out and flew and it turned out fine.

You might find interesting that I did my basic aerobatic training on Zlin-142, side-by-side aerobatic trainer in which student sits on the left, instructor on the right. For take off and climb I set left hand on the stick, right was used for center throttle, prop, mixture and flaps. However, once aerobatics were to begin, right hand went to stick (both pilots have one each, mounted on the floor in front of each of them and not sidesticks as in Cirrus SR20), left went to throttle mounted on the extreme left of the instrument panel. For approach and landing it was back to left hand - stick, right hand - all the rest. No problems there for me, or anyone else on my course for that matter.

My uneducated guess is that stick-stirring is not in the same precision league as handwriting is.