PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF A380 - pax perspectives
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2009, 11:16
UnderneathTheRadar
When you live....

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
QF A380 - pax perspectives

Hi all,

Indulge me as I revist Monday's LHR-SIN-SYD via QF32 (premium economy) with some comments and questions.

Firstly, overall - very very impressive - aircraft and service - LHR to SIN in particular and I think that airlines that bought it have a public perception bonus that will be hard to shake (I know it's new and shiny and is ugly-as but there is something awe-inspiring about being on it). Premium economy was, as usual, full of retirees off on their world trip/visit family but there was a very positive vibe amongst those on board who chatted happily amongst themselves and to CC. It will get older and there are still bugs (broken toilet locks and bins - even though this was no 4 in the QF fleet) but I do believe it will replace the 747 as the publics 'favorite' aircraft.

I have vaguely watch the posts here about cabin crew and London bases and while the SIN-SYD crew were good, the London based LHR-SIN were outstanding from all levels. The CSM personally introduced the crew for our section (and went out of her way to check on my very pregnant missus) and the crew themselves were friendly, helpful and, for the first time EVER on a long haul flight didn't stand around loudly comparing rosters, hotels, friends, days off within earshot of everyone (a personal bugbear of mine).

IFE is worlds above any other I've come across - screen size and range of things to watch and do (loved the skycam - especially as when we were sitting just to the left and below someone elses jet stream - really cool).

Questions (if anyone is still reading!) - and yes, it's all 'perception' from someone who flies bugsmashers only.
- taxiing speed seemed excessively slow at all times (so not crew related) - is it so big that there is no room for error?
- flaps on take off seemed to stay down much longer than on heavy jets? Any reason?

Negatives (not assigning blame)
- idiotic checkin staff at LHR allocated us emergency exit rows whilst asking the missus when she was due - maybe because it was day 2 or 3 at T3 and she didn't know?
- loading at LHR and SIN - they can get the pax on in no time but both legs then involved 30 mins plus waiting for loading to be finished
- SYDNEY airport - you think someone would have checked that the baggage carousels were big enough for an A380 worth of baggage??!? We stood for 30 minutes watching baggage backed up from both of the disgorge thingys because the belt was full. If Maquarie were smart they'd move the duty free to between passports and the belts as there were a lot of people with a lot of spare time.

But all in all, especially when compared to the old, FILTHY, tatty, uncomfortable, poor food qualitied, grumpy CC'd BA 747 (premium economy too) on the way over, a very very good experience and one I'd pay extra for to make sure I got to experience again.

Say what you like about them (and I often agree) but QF management have got it right from a customer experience perspective.

UTR