PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about the difference in the left and right seat controls on Airbus
Old 4th Nov 2009, 10:39
BSelic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the difference in the left and right seat controls on Airbus

This is my first post to this forum, so I apologize in advance if I violate standard conventions or if I misdirected this post.

I am an experienced software designer (37+ years in the business) of real-time and embedded software such as that found in aircraft. Although I do not have much direct experience with aircraft software -- except for two years working on aircraft simulators at CAE in the late 70's -- I am quite interested in some aspects of usability in cockpit controls.

A question that has always plagued me was whethe the fact that the joysticks for the captain and for the f/o in an Airbus are for different hands caused any difficulties in controlling the plane. About 10 years ago (before the days of locked cockpit doors), I had a chance to fly from San Jose to Toronto in the cockpit of an Air Canada A320. I asked the pilots whether this was a problem, but, to my surprise, they said that it wasn't.

Still not fully convinced, I am hoping that the experienced folks on this forum can provide me with definitive feedback on this point.

Any responses are much appreciated.