PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best ADVICE for young pilot
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2002, 07:23
suddentwang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying career

Jim SC,

You will find many standard answers to your dilema on the beginning of a career in aviation. I won't add to those but I want to offer some advise for the long term commitment you may make.

Lifestyle tends to be pushed to the background as you hungrily persue the passion you most likely will feel for your new profession. But spare a thought for years ahead, when you may be married with kids and all the factors attached to that situation.

I had a "job for life" in Australia until 1989 and then left for overseas and progressed very nicely without much regret. But the family issue became very importatnt after my family grew and pressures mounted in areas I had paid little attention to before. So now the problem is getting back home to settle for the sake of my family (and myself). And that is proving extremely difficult.

Just be careful in your decisions along the way especially if a apparently long-term job comes up early in your career. If you leave your home market, circumstances could conspire to make your return later in life very difficult.

I have loved this career and would not have had it any other way. But, be sure to understand, that the days of the big bucks are over (in general) and in 10 years the flying job will not keep you in clover. The recent big pay rises in the US majors are a mirage because the airlines can't afford them. The unalterable trend for wages and conditions for the airline pilot is down. But if you want a job that keeps you satisfied for 40 years, flying is the one (if you can find the right employer).

Good luck.