PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-Off in Stormy Conditions
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 18:12
gd44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, the storm is not the important thing... The Spoilers extended on one wing during take off run scares me (I know that is becaus of the aileron, but pilots should also know that). Is there any procedure which would allow that? So, you have drag, you lost lift on one wing... How could the pilots determine correct VR speed in this configuration? Do the pilots know, how the airplane reacts during lift off in this configuration?
Its a standard manouver for a crosswind take-off. In this case the wind is from the left, so to counteract the wind, which will be pushing the aircraft to the right, the pilot will put the left wing into wind using the rudder as nesecary to maintain the centerline.

As the airspeed builds during the take-off run, you slowly centeralise the control column and rotate. This manouver will not effect the V-Speeds significantly, what will effect them is the runway conditions.

What you've got to remember is that on these large aircraft the "Spoliers" act in a number of ways, but achieve the same goal. In this example they are acting as "Spoilerons".

Hope this Helps

Last edited by gd44; 3rd Nov 2009 at 18:17. Reason: Spelling