PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Pain? "RAF threatened by equipment cuts, says senior officer "
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 17:58
CirrusF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Red Arrows gain significant funding through sponsorship (remember, they're good for Hawk sales too).
Then privatise them completely, like the Breitling jet aerobatic team. Whenever I see the RAFAT at airshows, it just sends a message to me that the RAF is obviously not that stretched, and that they don't take the war in Afghanistan as seriously as the portray. Maybe BAe should pay for them entirely. They could even cut costs by just having one pilot, and let their recently developed multi-aircraft system fly all the other aircraft in close formation to the lead. Computers could do a far better job than RAFAT pilots, and would not land wheels up either.

The Typhoons, much like your beloved Rafales, are a new aircraft entering service and as such occasional incidents are bound to happen.
From what I have discovered from the internet, despite the RAF's best efforts to hush up the China Lake incident, the Typhoon wheels up landing was entirely pilot error. That has nothing at all to do with introduction of a new aircraft.

As I say, not wishing to play down what you do but the competent use of modern fast jets does, at least to my admittedly untrained eyes, seem a little different to operating passenger jets, in fact so different that attempting to draw comparisons is pointless.
All aircraft are the same on final approach - you set them up and do your prelanding checks which (unless you are in a seaplane) involves x greens. Indeed, the workload involved in landing an agile, light jet in VMC with lots of immediately available power and lots of drag hanging under the wings into a low traffic military airfield is arguably a lot less than landing a large, heavy, slippery, bus with long spool up time into a busy civilian airfield.