PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best ADVICE for young pilot
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2002, 02:08
PeteB

That's a wide open question you've asked there...

I suggest you scan the forums and get a general feel for some of the issues related to pilot training and getting a job after you've completed that training. Have a read of the post 'what hope for low hour pilots' - reading between the flying insults - you can see that it's a difficult career to get started in.

Getting to the stage of actually looking for a job is even more difficult. Consider the many, many thousands of pounds (dollars in your case) that it may cost you just to get the basic qualifications. Consider the impact that that financial burden will have on your life. - I think you get the idea, my point being that you have to be completely sure that aviation is THE career that you absolutely have to be in - if you're not entirely sure, maybe it's not for you.

Having said all that, and assuming you've made the decision to go for it - your options are: sponsored flight training (Almost non - existent), USAF (lots of commitment and lifestyle decisions that I'm not going to comment on), and finally, for many the only option, self sponsored.

All of these options have, I'm sure, been discussed at length on many occasions, just do a search on the forums for whichever you're interested in.

I'll leave you with this:

When I was deciding if I was really prepared to go for it or not, I sat down one day at work, and thought to myself 'right, pretend you've decided you're not going to do it, you'll never fly professionally - what now?'. I realised there was only one option for me. It's a good way to judge if you really want it....