PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Air Squadrons
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 14:55
ShadowFive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Particularly those Summer Camps when we all decamped to a 'real' RAF station for our 2 weeks. Sadly, that no longer happens.
I beg to differ - I know of at least one northen UAS that detaches to ISK three times per year for several weeks at a time - with aircraft.

As for the town nights, "action plans" etc may happen occasionally ,but, in my experience it is the norm to have varied talks, breifs and lectures from various units and branches with the RAF and further military. For example, one night may contain a capabilities breif of the harrier force or indeed on one occasion the apache (all given from the horses mouth so to speak by visiting crews), another night may contain a breif from an IntO or EngO etc on their career etc etc. Senior officers occasionaly visit to keep us up to date with what is happening at top level in the service. Town nights also regularly have OASC prep and leadership exercises with them too - students are free to leave after these activities (which normaly last several hours) - whether some choose to stay and imbibe an ale or two is neither here nor there, however it is not a case of "turn and get lashed", like some people like to imagine.

I have no need to defend the flying syallabus aspect as this has already been justified by others in previous posts.

That article from The Times made my blood boil as it was pure utter gossip with very little backing up of facts other than "my friends son said this..." and just goes further to deepen my mistrust of the press.
Read the above and make your own mind up.

Last edited by ShadowFive; 3rd Nov 2009 at 21:23. Reason: mong spelling