PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Pain? "RAF threatened by equipment cuts, says senior officer "
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 14:06
Jig Peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Entry into service

At the risk of thread drift, the "stately" entry into service of military aircraft has long baffled me. In the civil world (in which I worked for almost as long as I was an RAF driver airframe), an aircraft is projected, discussed with potential customers, and when (if) enough have been won over, is launched. Some 5 years later, it has flown, been pretty well de-bugged, certificated and first deliveries begin. Once on the line with its customers, it is expected to earn its keep from Day One, with well above 90% availability and flying a full line programme all day every day. Compared with this, the "Military Way" seems dilatory, over-complicated and thoroughly inefficient. (Yes, I know about all the political shilly-shallyings, but apart from those there seem to be too many "heritage" outfits with partial responsibilities and opportunities for "career-progressing" comments, etc).

'Bye now - it's too windy for the day's production at the factory up the road to be committing aviation (the wind's above 110 kph, gusting 130).