PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental IO-550 Grounding.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 13:52
kevinsky18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was posted on the Cessna Pilot Owner's website.
--------------
I was in the shop that does my maintenance today as my 210 was having a turbo check valve replaced. I started chatting with the mechanics as I know most of them on a first name basis, I stop in every so often. This is how the conversations went.

A few weeks ago they got a P210 in there for a prop strike teardown and the owner of it opted to pony up the difference for a brand new ram engine. It was there on the floor last week. Very nice looking. I wished I had it, then.

Today that beautiful new ram engine was in that P210 and the guys said they were almost done. They were ready to hang the prop when ram called yesterday to tell them about all this mess with the lifters. A little poking around and they find the engine is full of metal, lifters and cam chewed up. What a shame. A beautiful new engine and install, it sure looked pretty in there with all those new shiny parts. Long story short - New engine is on the way.

Whatever the issue is – it is serious. This engine only had the test run done and was never even flown and it is shot. If they say park it immediately. Do it!