PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unexpected turbulence
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 09:36
Juud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
londonclubguy, how you were told to behave as a child does not necessarily apply to adults communicating on an internet bulletin board, does it?

Donalk, there is a fine line between pax ´understandably not understanding´ and pax willfully ignoring repeated, clearly and simply phrased announcements in their own language.

The first is part of the job and not something CC moan about.
The second is a conscious behavioural choice made mainly by pax of specific nationalities and/or specific social strata.
Along the lines of "Whatever these busdrivers/waitresses are yacking on about through the PA system does not appy to me.". For whatever reason valid in their own minds only.
The people in this category are a huge irritant. They pose a possible danger to their fellow pax, they create a lot of extra work for the FAs and in the spirit of ´once one sheep crosses the bridge´, they entice others to do the same unless the CC act like dictatorial traffic police.

The majority of CC take their safety role seriously, as they should.
When the FSB sign comes on, the FAs will check the cabin to make sure everybody is strapped in. This simple job in itself irritates a number of pax. They have snipey comments, they refuse to fasten the seat belt unless spoken to forcefully, they unfasten the seat belt as soon as the FA has walked past them.
I know this because after the FAs have done their check, it is my job to check that they have done a proper job.
All that is normal and understood by FAs. Pax don´t know any better, and explaining/enforcing is indeed a normal part of our job.
Nothing to complain about.

What I do complain about, maybe not here but certainly in the galley, is when, after the pilot´s initial announcement, I have made 3 or 4 additional announcements, in different languages and in simple and increasingly forceful terms, there are STILL pax who decide they are exempt.

Behaviour like that has nothing to do with people not understanding flight safety, and everything to do with some people being supremely egoistic and rude.
While rude bøggers are a regrettable part of life, everybody including CC has the ´right´ to complain about folks like that.