PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian Airline Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 01:43
flyinkiwi10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merpati bowing down to Aussie pilots

Hi guys, sounds like a bit of an ego stroke doesn't it? Can anyone say circle jerk? (Not just cos I am a Kiwi)

The motive behind the recruitment of expats is not so high minded to me. There is a shortage of pilots in Indo. They only churn out 200 a year I hear. Not enough to cover expansion plans by the likes of Merpati, Lion, Garuda, Batavia, etc... all of whom are now seeking expats to top up the numbers. Which is good for expats needing a start. Very good if you can get a 737 rating and walk in to a job with 200 hrs like some...

If I was leasing ATR's to Indo I would add quite a few stipulations about experienced expats sitting in the front.

I would also be cautious about thinking that you are going to change the culture of Merpati and change the world.

Meds I haven't seen your PM's but I think classing them as positive and negative may be unhelpful. The point of this site is to get info from people who have been there and can give some pointers or a heads up. Few here would have flown for Merpati, but have seen them out and about and from that (and accident reports) have been able to glean quite a lot about how they operate.

Does anyone have first hand accounts that justify the reputation? As passengers, pilots, or observers?

Do your research and go in with your eyes open. I would think twice, and thrice before boarding one of their flights as a passenger... let alone as a line FO.

You should always be prepared to speak up if you are not happy with some things. Your life may depend on it..!!
Some of the stories I have heard would make you break out in a cold sweat... I am sure it is all different now .

I for one would like to genuinely wish you the best of luck and would like to hear back - the full story - when you have been there for six months.

Last edited by flyinkiwi10; 3rd Nov 2009 at 02:03.