PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 23:25
Boozydragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courts Martial or Civilian Prosecution?

I would like to think that those responsible for the catalogue of errors which led to loss of XV230 both civilian and military will be dealt with either by Courts Martial and/or cases brough through the civilian legal system. Regardless of the incident, there always seems to be the attitude of 'it was like this when I got here Chief'.

Whilst it is true that the issues which culminated in the accident have been handed from Senior Officer/BAES employee/Government Minister, that does not excuse the continued malpractice. I suspect however that those responsible will be ushered off to retirement and the opportunity to grip this once and for all will be lost. I am not a fan of the litigation obsession we have inherited from the US, the fact that GB or BAES may be 'sorry' is simply not good enough and they should be held to account for their actions or lack thereof.

There are other personalities in the very recent past who by pure luck were not in post at the time of the loss of 120/3 who are equally culpable and are now breathing a sigh of relief, eg the previous Head of AV. Nothing would focus the minds of all of us involved in AW than a summons to appear in court.