PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DERRY/LONDONDERRY
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 21:55
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See, it depends on your interpretation of what a base is. I think a base is merely where they park their aircraft overnight, literally where the aircraft are based. It certainly doesn't mean that the airport is more important to Ryanair, after all non-base Derry and Knock have more routes than base airport Belfast;
Amelia, I take on board what is a base, it always fascinated me that Ryanair make a big fuss about a new base that only has 1 aircraft. But that said, I suppose the significance of a based aircraft would be that the schedule is planned based on what Derry LDY would need i.e. perhaps a x2 daily London offering that made trip a possibility and moreover we wouldnt be accepting the gaps in a schedule that mean we get rubbish scheduling, eg 2 flights to London both timed similarly 1 to LTN and 1 to STN.

To me a base is an airport that Ryanair one or more aircraft overnighting and they employ local pilots and cabin crew.

I hope you are right on the issue of a base being inevitable. However, deep down I cant help but believe that the new manager is trying to push Ryanair's hand on the issue of a base or more services when he suggests that a LGW/LHR base is being discussed. LHR very unlikely LGW is a possibility.

Ryanair operating such a route would mean a base at LGW, or a base at LDY or a W pattern ex Dublin to LGW or the SNN or ORK flights! Do you think Flybe could be attracted to a new LDY service on a daily 195?

He certainly is making all the right noises early on.

EI-BUD