PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Security
Thread: LHR Security
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 19:51
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm going to take the unusual step of stepping in between lowcostdolly and Final 3 Greens. Since F3G has not replied yet, he must be away on biz but I would like to put my point of view on this and state that I have never met F3G and only know him through this forum, so he might well stamp on me too!
LCD
That I'm sure won't be enough for the likes of someone who clearly thinks they can interpret the law to suit themselves ...
Actually, as I read F3G, he LOVES the rules and the greatest irritation he displays is for those that do not meet the published rules and procedures of their company.

....it's illegal to take a knife on board a flight in the UK!! Clearly there are people here who can't?won't grasp that
None of us in here are saying that. What we are saying is what strake has kindly looked up the detail for us:
knives, including ceremonial knives, with blades of more than 6cm, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon
If you have a knife but it's blade is less than 6cm - then it's legal.

On one occasion, a UK X-ray machine found a pair of side cutters that I had not seen in months, they had got caught in a fold of fabric in the lining of my shoulder bag. When they emerged was I angry? Did I try to tell them that they were wrong? I thanked them for finding it and, as I had the time, withdrew from the queue - went and got a suitable envelope, posted them to myself and rejoined the queue as they were a very good pair of cutters! On another occasion, I had left something more valuable in the bag, as I had changed bags at the last minute and not checked the pockets. I had no time to spare and so they threw away a very useful combination tool and I cursed myself - not them. (although I silently cursed the govt idiots who made the pointless regs)

Please accept that, whilst I'm an old lag in the forum, I am always ready to sit down and be corrected. Yes I know that F3G can be a bit strong sometimes and that's the nature of an open forum BUT he works in the commercial aviation field and knows of what he speaks. Does he seem like a snob for mentioning that he travels in C and F? As I read it, he states so when it is germane to the topic and the level of service to be expected. If I stay at a Premier Inn (UK motel chain of good medium value and cleanliness) I would expect differently to when I stay in a Hyatt or Intercon. If I reported on the meal and room service, I would state which hotel it was so as to put my observations in context.