PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The best CRM training videos?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 19:10
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The African Dude – “the Ansett BAe146 engine rollback incident”

I wonder what you might have learnt from the video of the incident.
Although I have not seen the video (didn’t know that it existed), I am familiar with the circumstances and the outcome of the event.
The technical aspects should be treated with caution; since the formal report was issued there have been many investigative developments enabling an improved understanding of the conditions, and of course all aircraft have been modified.
At best I might suggest that the event was an example of a crew handling an extremely remote series of failures – multiple engine malfunction, in an appropriate manner, resulting in a diversion and safe landing.
There are of course many others similar incidents, but why do people think that video is the best medium?
The key issues in such events might better be identified with the instructor’s personal interaction with the students, using specific adaptations for their organisation. Human interaction is a major aspect of CRM, but so too is thinking about the situation and understanding the reasons why we hold certain beliefs.