PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Air Squadrons
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 17:00
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dogstar
In addition to this, the UAS also has various intangible benefits for the service which statistics will often fail to identify or quantify. Firstly, those members of UASs who enjoy their two years on the squadron continue to feel empathy towards the armed services for the rest of their lives. I have friends who still hark back to their Bulldog time and they now represent serious power around the country in various guises, both in the public and private World. With armed forces shrinking, having members of the public who are able to understand, in some way, what armed forces do is vitally important. Elsewhere on this forum I see people whinge about the lack of credibility and understanding MPs have for the armed services - UASs/OTCs and URNUs are real vehicles for this.

Excellent post, and absolutely right – although, in my case, Chipmunk rather than Bulldog.

I was a contemporary on the University of London Air Squadron of people like Derek Reeh, Andy Sephton, BEagle and idle stop who went on to distinguished careers in the RAF and then in civvy aviation. I was a Cadet Pilot (VR) and, after a great deal of thought, eventually decided to keep to my original plan to become a barrister. (16/38, the only option available at the time, was too long for me.) I was proud then to be a member of a UAS and now, almost 40 years on, I’m still proud of it - and am very much in the category of those who “continue to feel empathy towards the armed services for the rest of their lives.”

Having civvies who understand in some way what the armed services do is an important asset, even though it’s not possible to quantify. I believe many former UAS members make valuable contributions to debates about Defence, whether they are in positions of power themselves or because they are in close contact with those who are.

I didn't recognise the description given by the Times journo who got her information from a couple of students who appear not to have made the most of the wonderful opportunity given to them. My reaction was that it was a pity her contacts took up two places which others would have valued and put to good use.

FL

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 2nd Nov 2009 at 17:11.