PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Security
Thread: LHR Security
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 14:16
strake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW F3G not "stamping my foot" just stating the blindingly bloody obvious.....it's illegal to take a knife on board a flight in the UK!! Clearly there are people here who can't?won't grasp that.
Very dramatic...but wrong.

I don't think either F3G or Paxboy suggested they illegally took knives onto aircraft or supported anyone doing so..that is a very serious accusation to make. Paxboy said he puts his through the x-ray machine, which is standard security. One therefore presumes that his blade, whether on a knife or otherwise, meets the requirements and is less than 6cm which is perfectly legal.

Realising this could be a contentious point, I have added the relevant passage from the government website..my highlight.:
Pointed/edged weapons and sharp objects

The following is not allowed in your hand baggage.

Including but not limited to:

axes and hatchets
arrows and darts
crampons
harpoons and spears
ice axes and ice picks
ice skates
lockable or flick knives with blades of any length
knives, including ceremonial knives, with blades of more than 6cm, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon
meat cleavers
machetes
open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge)
sabres, swords and swordsticks
scalpels
scissors with blades more than 3cm in length
ski and walking/hiking poles
throwing stars
tradesman's tools that have the potential to be used as a pointed or edged weapons, including drills and drill bits, box cutters, utility knives, all saws, screwdrivers, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches/spanners, blow torches

Last edited by strake; 2nd Nov 2009 at 14:30. Reason: Added govt. notice.