PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 14:00
Biggles225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Rigga, I think I have to disagree with you. So this is me in my antique CDSE hat, quite prepared to be told 'But we dont do it that way any more'.

To the mods, I apologise for any thread drift.

"760/765 systems are probably still under-resourced, and lack any real flow, sometimes taking years before any action is seen and with no feedback to originators as to how they are progressing (probably because they dont progress) So staff will become used to seeing the wrong info in maitenance procedures and may not use them because they have no faith in them, and "guessing" (in that can-do attitude) what should be done because there is no feedback of what they should do."

There was always a way to request change to an AP or MP, F765, and it's a laid down procedure. (Can't exactly remember where now). Yes, they are resource intensive, but once analyzed and trialled feedback was always made to the originator, with reasons for and against as applicable, and the Procedure was amended if necessary. I dont think that regular updates, although a good idea, would fit with todays policy and/or manning levels. In my day there was a line open for anyone on the shop floor to communicate with CSDE Schedules directly and speak to an author or analyst if they had a problem with a servicing procedure. This was not vetted, and we didnt usually tell the station heirachy, because it worried them that they didn't control it!

I wholly agree with you about the unofficial 'filter' - I remember one OCEng 'sausage side' who wouldn't pass them up the system because they weren't written in 'schedulese', and he had a filing cabinet full of them! I'm sure he wasn't the only one either. That's what's happened to your 765s in many cases, and its bloody disgraceful.

760s were a different beastie, because quite often it took input from the manufacturer before anything much could be done, and that takes time, especially as theres no kudos in contracting to the Royal Air Force any more.

Please don't think that just because nothing apparent has been happening, it isn't going to, its a bit like a swan, calm on top and going like hell underneath. I promise you.

Last edited by Biggles225; 2nd Nov 2009 at 14:03. Reason: Apology for thread drift