PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Loads Bags onto wrong flights
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 12:09
pilotshorvath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew I'd be taken out of context...

Clearly some parts of my posts were misinterpreted and taken out of context. I am more then well aware of the potential safety implications of incorrectly loading an aircraft, and I don't take them lightly. Also, to suggest that I blindly stated that an accident won't happen also surprised me. So, allow me to elaborate/clarify my post:

1---

Are you telling us or asking us?
I don't understand why it created confusion: Up until my post, nobody had posted any information about how loading was usually done by the bigger airlines (QF, JQ, TT, DJ). I was providing pprune readers with a summary of how I believed loading to take place (from a flight crew perspective), so other people who aren't so involved in aviation (or in the day-to-day operations) reading the posts could understand the way it works. So, I was giving the flight crew perspective, and asking the guys who actually do it (the ground crew) to fill in any gaps. I was certainly not lecturing anybody (just providing some information) so I have no idea why some people take it that way???

2---

I don't 'sledge' people. In fact, I consider all of Mr. Oleo's questions in his first post quite valid. When I first read Mr. Oleo's second post, I read it as him/her implying that an A320/B737 or even a widebody would most definitely run into this problem because of mis-loaded passenger bags.

Clearly the Fokker 100 is a passenger jet, so if his comments were of a more general nature, and not in relation to something like an A320/319, then he is totally correct, and I agree.

Sorry Mr.Oleo if you took offence to my drama comment, it was not intended that way, as I was making it in relation to an A320 size aircraft and passenger bags, not generally.

This leads me onto why I said 'drama' in relation to the Tiger example (3)...

3---

I never said an accident wouldn't happen, and being taken out of context makes it sound even worse....

but unlikely to happen due to mis-loading as suggested.
Note I said "unlikely" in the context of what we were discussing: mis-loaded passenger bags on a A320/319 aircraft.

Sure, while the Beech 1900D and Fokker100 examples clearly show the danger of mis-loading aircraft, my comments of drama relate to the possibility of this occurring in this example: ie a practical example

- My comment of 100 tonnes and Emirates was to show that 144-180 odd passenger bags on an A320 were small in weight by comparison!

- Most of the time, the thrust limits set for takeoff include 1-2 tonne buffers.

-The maximum weight by which this aircraft would have theoritically been overloaded was 6 tonnes. But this was assuming that 200 people had 30kg bags each, and the other flight had NO planned bags. In reality, both the MEL and OOL flights would have had estimated bags in the Estimated ZFW, so actual amount of overloading would realistically be no more than about 3 tonnes, and that's being generous! Plus, both flights would usually have had the bags loaded in the same cargo area.

So, going back to what I said: I still believe it is unlikely, based on the Tiger example. My reasoning?: If the crew have a 2 tonne buffer on the takeoff figures, and the bags are 2 tonnes over what the load sheet says they are, then the aircraft is actually taking off with thrust required=thrust set, hence it is unlikely to end up in the houses at the end of the runway, even with an engine failure at V1, because all performance criteria are met, or at least very close to being met.

-----

I hope this cleared up my post. If not, fire away....