PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A 330 Wheels down speed and noise
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 11:51
I love twins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the crew extended the landing gear at a higher speed than "normal" then yes of course it would be louder in the cabin especially as the gear doors open. Not sure if the 250mph they give on your IFE is IAS,TAS,GS and i'm certainly not sure if that information displayed is correct/current.

If they did extend earlier than usual then it may be because they had a strong tailwind, were struggling to get below vfe next, were getting significantly high on profile, had been cut in tight, continue ad nauseum...

On another note, Gear down 45 seconds before touchdown seems incredibly late, I would question your timing on that, given its source.

On the type I fly we extend gear at around 5nm (allowing for how deceleration is going/winds etc). If you average out the speed from then its around 120kts GS, so you'd be looking at around 2 minutes between gear down and touch down.

As you can see from that logic 45 seconds would equate to 1.5nm out or around 500ft AGL. They would not meet the stable criteria for landing and a go around would be flown.

Please excuse my figures if slightly out, i base them on A320, but imagine the A330 wouldn't be a million miles away!