PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus A320 Contracts
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 10:58
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainboe - the subject is 'Astraeus A320 Contracts' and that is what is being discussed. Like numerous people who like to give abuse, you do not like to hear an alternative view to yours. I am open to any reasoned discussion on this subject, but at this stage I am still convinced that this is a union-destroying contract and all that goes with it.

Regarding the ex-BA Captains in easyJet, they are, to a man, outstanding individuals who enjoy the universal respect of everyone they fly with. They are professional, competent and a delight to fly with. They have been a huge asset to easyJet and are a pleasure to have on board. The key thing is that they are working for a company that has brought massive employment to the industry and, along with Ryanair, have generated a whole new market that did not previously exist. Included among that list of benefits to the industry as a whole has been the opportunity to provide employment to retired pilots from legacy carriers such as BA. Their contribution to easyJet has been, and continues to be, immense.

My sole beef with the Astraeus A320 contract, as opposed to any other aspect of Astraeus, is that this contract is effectively an internal battle within Aer Lingus and the Astraeus pilots are being used as pawns in a power-broking game to break the hold of the Irish unions on the company. That behaviour has to be challenged and made public. Aer Lingus are our competitors and on the surface of things it is somewhat bizarre I should be defending the opposition. Nonetheless as a pilot with a vested interest in the future of our industry, it seems entirely reasonable that I should draw to the attention of my fellow professionals the real situation here. However unapalatable that may be to Rainboe and others, that is how I see it. I am completely open to any rational discussion that refutes my current take on this contract. The fact that the discussion has gone where it has is a reflection of the issues at stake.

Anyway, I have said my bit here and will head off for a while to other matters. I sincerely hope that somewhere out there on the internet are some Aer Lingus pilots who are willing to contribute to this debate. Ultimately this is your problem and not mine. To sit back now and ignore what is happening is professional suicide. I trust you will not be intimidated by your own management into fiddling while Rome burns.