PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly around Oz hour building, anyone interested?
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 01:53
smudgiebottom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Learning Experience

I did the same, and it was the best thing I've ever done (apart from marriage and children and all the other politically correct responses).

Definitely take care with the maintenance part as mentioned previously.

The other advice I have is:
  • Don't book accommodation in advance, it can give you added 'must get there' pressures that in questionable weather, you don't need.
  • Don't scrimp on WAC chart purchases and up to date VTCs etc. Get them all and make sure they are current.
  • Organize yourself and your documents/charts. Then organize it again. I made up document packs the night before each leg, to save sifting through all the charts to find the right one whilst flying.
  • Have your night VMC done prior, just in case - or for an excellent 'tour' of the Kimberley's at sunset, or Brisbane by night etc.
  • Take another friendly hour-building pilot with you. Any issues you face (like, 'Why is the engine running rough?', or 'what frequency?') are much easier to troubleshoot with another opinion (as long as they are friendly...).
  • Don't be scared of controlled airspace, giving ATC an indication of unfamiliarity with GAAP or ATC zones really helped me find my way around, and all the controllers I came across were very helpful .
  • Have fun! I'm so jealous...
Matt