PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - loadmaster training
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 00:25
Papa Sierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LM Trg/Role

Hi M,
It sounds as if you have "experience" of much of what a LM is responsible for, very similar to a base Air Mover in the RAF. There was a move afoot, many years ago, to licence LMs and had this gone ahead I'm sure we would have seen LM schools either FAA or CAA approved a bit like Despatchers. In the RAF LMs undergo a basic course covering Wt and Bal, DAC, Route Ops, Cargo and Pax Hdlg etc, they then go on to an Operational Conversion Unit to learn the more technical aspects of a particular aircraft type. During this phase they will learn all about the emergency equipment and emergency procedures of that aircraft. After the ground school the next step is the Flying phase where the emphasis is not just putting the theory into practice but also to introduce the LM into a "crew" environment and most importantly, Airmanship. Throughout this whole procedure the trainee LM is screened by an intructor until deemed capable enough to go "solo". During his or her career in the RAF, like any other aircrew trade, the LM will be subject to ongoing "checks" both in the classroom and in the air. I don't know of any company which actually trains LMs possibly why so many are ex military, however with your background and with the right "instructor" you could certainly become a LM, but do civilian companies have the infra structure to provide that "instructor"? Perhaps I should start a school!!!