PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 00:24
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm going to stand on Rottenray's side on this one, as I agree with the points he has presented. Yes, the pilots are entitled to a fair hearing, but, pending more information, it sounds at this point as though there was some cockpit procedure well below what any pilot or passenger should have to accept, even if no one was hurt. If there were a systems failure which prevented communications, I cannot believe that it could not be worked around for 90 odd minutes!? Anyone got a cell phone? Call the center, squawk 7600, and I'm sure other communication means I know nothing of. If there was evidence these were attempted, let's see it. CVR to verify a diligent effort? Comm failure, continue to your cleared point, then go where you are supposed to (directly, on time) squawking 7600? I've done it more than once!

IF you are outraged and you are a passenger or not an airline pilot...you can judge BY NOT BUYING TICKETS ON NORTHWEST/DELTA
I dis-agree. It appears that there was a human failing here, the facts will come out. In the mean time, not flying Northwest is one of many means of expressing outrage, and probably the least effective. Northwest did not fail here, two pilots appear to have. Who regulates pilots? Not Northwest - for the most part - it's the FAA. Who is the FAA accountable to? Every U.S. citizen, and all others flying on U.S. carriers. All of that very much larger group of people be they pilots or just regular people, have not only the privilage, but actually the responsibility to make their voices heard when they feel that the service or safety margins were not what they should have been. I think that any person is entitled to express their opinion as to what length of time it is acceptable for an aircraft to continue in flight apparently poorly or completely unattended.

'Sounds to me as though the common opinion is that an hour and a half is too long for the pilots to not be doing their job. I'm betting that even 1 -2 minutes is pushing it in most people's opinion!

If two pilots, regardless of experience and clean records, have their feelings hurt right now, too bad. Let them step forward with a really credible explanation, backed up with some evidence of what they did right during that time, or take the public wrath due such inattention when the investigation is complete. In our society it cannot be expected that public wrath will entirely be held until the end. We didd not wait until the completion of the investigation to compliment "Sully" on great flying! They should count themselves very fortunate they are here to take the wrath, and not at the front of a bent aircraft that glided in fuel exhausted - and try to tell me that can't happen to an airliner!

The people who pay to fly have a right to feel secure, and attended to, and voice displeasure when they think they are not!

Pilot DAR