PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carcassonne Landing
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2009, 17:48
Dick Fisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a regular on this service (6/7 times p.a.) and on my last trip in the middle of October, we actually held at the marker for two long circuits, as a Dublin flight had arrived just a few minutes ahead of us.

The more common approach here to 28 is "interesting" and normally doesn't involve holds. The aircraft approaches runway 10 to the marker, then turns towards the north, and then parallels the runway direction for a minute or so, before doing a descending 180 to line up with the runway.

I must say that I am amazed that such a large aircraft is able to use such a short runway with apparent ease. The landing "seems" to be a bit rushed (say compared to the landing back at EMA - where the aircraft always seems to float). However, I have never felt anything other than extremely comfortable with the experience and skill of the flight deck crew.

Incidentally, there is only one exit from the runway that's usable for the 738, so landing "early" or "late" doesn't make a jot of difference, as the aircraft always has to backtrack, irrespective of which direction it lands.