PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Loads Bags onto wrong flights
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2009, 12:35
pilotshorvath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LIR correct; based on ACTUAL load

The reality is that this sort of incident will one day result in a passenger jet not getting off the ground and ploughing into a residential estate, airport infrastructure or an adjacent ocean to an airport. The risk of a stall or aircraft entering an undesired state also should be added to the list.
Oh, please spare us the drama!

I could be wrong, and if I am, I'm more than happy to be corrected......but:

As far as I know, all Load Instruction Reports (LIR's) are made based on the actual load, as supervised by the Load Controller. As Worrals mentioned, if incorrect bags are loaded, the LIR could read significantly different to the planned load, but it will always represent the actual load on the aircraft.

Because the LIR and W&B sheet are created at the same time by the person actually supervising the loading of the aircraft, the W&B sheet will always contain the actual LIR information, and as such, the W&B sheet will always represent the actual load.

Could any ground crew out there confirm/deny this summary?!

The reality is that this sort of incident will one day result in a passenger jet not getting off the ground and ploughing into a residential estate, airport infrastructure or an adjacent ocean to an airport. The risk of a stall or aircraft entering an undesired state also should be added to the list.
Top points for drama Mr. Oleo, but unlikely to happen due to mis-loading as suggested.

But let's play hypotheticals for a bit: Even IF an aircraft was loaded with more cargo than planned, I doubt that it would cause it to be "unable to get of the ground and plough into the houses at the end of runway". The recent incident in Melbourne with Emirates showed that even an aircraft with a 100 tonne discrepancy can get off the ground.

And I doubt that the difference between MEL and OOL bags will ever be close to 100 Tonnes!

(If 200 people had 30kg of bags each, and 'the other' flight had NO planned bags at all, we're talking about 6 tonnes difference)

Six tonnes.... and that's assuming the first flight was planned with NO bags.

-----

But like is said, this is based on my experience/what I have seen. I am happy to be shown/proven otherwise.