PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Vickers Viscount
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2002, 14:24
RatherBeFlying

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Simulator in Toronto

The Toronto School Board ran a night school class on a Viscount simulator donated by Air Canada.

It's been several years since I "flew" in it and I don't know if it's still active as the simulator had several problems and no budget to fix defects.

It couldn't be trimmed unless you shut down an engine and seemed to fly better on three than four (more later).

The nosewheel steering was gone (too much crosswind was dialled in one evening); so, you had to either accept a substantial heading change on the initial takeoff run or throttle back four (or was it one) and bring it back up at about 50 kt.

NDP approaches called for a 45 degree heading change for about 30 seconds when crossing the beacon.

When the localiser was working, the glideslope was stuck on a 0 degree slope.

Once you had it in the air, the instructor had a habit of failing one item after another until you crashed. I managed to survive all the assassination attempts until he failed my airspeed on landing (never managed to get the co-pilot's ASI in my scan )

One night we were flying about and noticed that several tanks were close to empty; so, we put everything on crossfeed. Our classmates then became impatient after we contined to fly for several minutes without any flameouts and sent somebody into the cockpit to accuse us of using the autopilot and switch off the crossfeeds at the back of the pedestal by the autopilot switch. I put the crossfeeds back on, switched off the LP cock for three and retrimmed. The next crew flew about for several minutes and did not discover three was gone until they were instructed to climb and three went into autofeather --that lamp does get your attention