PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Men Who Killed Qantas
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2009, 11:16
QF94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.....one involving a 707 night landing and go around on 02 at Paya Lebar Singapore, resulted in a rescue team of QF engineers patching up a severely damaged airframe due to a hard touch down on the nose gear. The aircraft was ferried back eventually to Sydney unpressurized for permanent repairs..... I haven't read the book, nor am I inclined to do so but I'm certain these incidents remain unrecorded by the authors who may not have been borne yet in 1965.
The aircraft you talk about was VH-EBK (707-138B) on 23 December 1964. This was caused by an error of judgement by both pilots at the point of initial touchdown which caused the aircraft to bounce, incorrect technique was used by the captain in the attempts to reland the aircraft, which placed it in a nose-down attitude causing the nosewheel to strike the runway before the main wheels. Nil injuries or fatalities, but I'm sure a damaged pride nonetheless.

One doesn't have to be born at a time an event takes place, so long as the event is recorded and it is known where to find such information years down the track. How many of us are old enough to remember WW1 or WW2?