PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Air Squadrons
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2009, 09:05
Flik Roll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anonystude has it right...

The article is rubbish as are some of the comments on here from people way out of touch with the current system.

The article seems to say to me that the boys could not be bothered to turn up to fly in the week and only turned up at camp - where flying is usually restricted by the number of studes, wx and airframes: and priority is often given to those who make the effort to show their face down the Sqn in the week to fly or organise AT/Sport/Town Nights etc.
It also sounds like they got chopped at their 18month pre-second year interview....!

I did the old and new system - 1 year pre-Marston and 2 years of this "10 hour" malarky with both new EFT + extension syllabus and then bog standard syallbus (the extension has been bought back in since) - however the syllabus by then was redundant to me and a others who already had done FHT.

I completed EFT in the first year before Marston so that was a good 62 hours in 9 months. I left with well over 150 hours and plenty of 'extra' flying that wasn't in the UAS EFT syllabus per se but was in the real EFT syllabus which the instructors were all too keen to teach (extra IF, IP - Tgt, extra formation etc.) and plenty of solo to boot. The 10 hour/year thing never happens purely because they can't just cut you off when you get to ten hours as so many students never make their ten hours or don't even want to fly.

There is still formal flying assessment it just doesn't count towards anything and you don't get a score but the tick sheets still show whether you are average, above av or below.