PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 162 SkyCatcher
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2009, 09:00
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cessna may be banking on the replacement of the ageing C150/152 fleet, in the USA.

The purchase cost is less an issue than might appear, because a 30 year old plane has a massive operating cost, through airframe parts constantly going. One C150 I know about was costing the group £8000 on every Annual - that is 3 times what I pay on the TB20. With a new plane, you get some 10-15 years of very low "unscheuled maintenance" costs. This also translates to big benefits to a business operator - look how badly the Thielert downtime debacle has hit schools operating Diamonds. I know from my PPL training that planes going "tech" (the expression used when there is a bunch of people queuing up for a pleasure flight) are a major lesson cancellation factor.

The only way to operate the old metal profitably is to be a CAA LAME yourself, do your own maintenance, and regard the business profit as your salary for doing that job. Preferably, have more than one plane so you can buy stuff like gaskets in bulk, possibly from the USA.

The other way is to let it fall apart gradually, doing dodgy maintenance for as long as possible.