PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 31st Oct 2009, 19:19
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
protechthehornet

Yes I agree with you about the comparison between bus drivers and pilots.

A large degree of snobbery here in my opinion.

Frankly I have the greatest respect for anyone in whose hands I place my life and/or wellbeing - whether that be bus driver, taxi driver, surgeon or pilot, for example.

We all have our loyalties to our professions - not to do so would suggest we somehow had made a mistake in chosing it!

So I'm just as grateful to bus drivers for avoiding low bridges when I'm on the top deck as I am for pilots avoiding making similar unforced errors such as the one in question.

KR

FOK

PS: In respect to the 'punishment' for the 'crime' - do you punish a man equally for an action which may have caused an accident as opposed to a man actually causing an accident in similar circumstances?

Whilst my Posts have generally been (in my view reasonably) 'anti' the pilots, the flip side is that, if they are reasonable human beings, in future they might be some of the safest (and experienced) pilots around.

It reminds me of the old joke about a man in a bar. The man says: 'I have built 1000 houses but do they remember me as a great builder? NO!
I have looked after a 1000 acres farm but do they remember me as a great farmer? NO!
I s**g one sheep ...'

I suppose it proves you're only as good as your last flight.

Last edited by FlyingOfficerKite; 31st Oct 2009 at 19:37.