PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - strongest wing tip vortices when slow, clean and heavy. BUT WHY?
Old 31st Oct 2009, 19:09
Pugilistic Animus

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
and even when you have equations it still requires verification I've seen the most elegant math make fools of engineering teams when the actual data was in

Dolphin51 obviously knows what the hell he's talking about,...

but let me say this again aerodynamics is an EMPIRICAL/EXPERIMENTAL science based upon experiment,... real life data on airfoil sections for designers is available in 'Theory of wing sections' by Abbott and Von Doenhoff--this is a BASIC [foundational] text on the subject it has much data and some theoretical treament on high lift devices

also I don't remember the exact name of the authors but there's ananother text ' Aircraft performance, stability and control' the further expands on the subject---

not too bad to get in the right mind set with Hurt either

the reason I like Davies so much is that although he was a TP and spoke engineering' the reason why his text was so effecdtive was because he could translate the abstractions of certification into plain pilot 'Horse Hooey',...I mean he spoke just enough horse hooey to get the stuff that matters WRT to stick and rudder,...pilots are not supposed to be too smart anyway

PA

Last edited by Pugilistic Animus; 31st Oct 2009 at 19:20.