PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2007 Puma Crash, Enquiry and Inquest (Merged)
Old 31st Oct 2009, 18:36
Exrigger

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
As an ex Chinook ground crew who used to fly rotortune test sorties in I will let you experts decide what heading the following would be deemed as:

returning back to base at 2000' when pilot decides when overhead to do the tightest spiral rapid descent possible in a Chinook which caused the positve g to make me very uncomfortable with the rotortune box on my lap, when I complained he laughed and said it was the quickest way to land.

I was on the first rotortune sortie post maintenance and the blades were not balanced at all well. Once I had got the figures and on the approach to the base the pilot said that he was going to do a auto rotate landing, when I pointed out that firstly it is not allowed with ground crew on board, secondly this manouvre was dependant on the blades being properly balanced. pilot said it would be no problem, aircraft promptly descended rather faster than designed, pilot recovered, just, and with a little laugh said 'I think the blades do need a bit off a tweak'.

On the ground trying to take the blade readings the aircraft developed a very bad case off ground resonance, the pilot asked me how long I would be to get a set off readings, when I told him he said I had about 30 secs before he shut down and i would have to best guess some adjustments before this aircraft would be started up again.

I know which was to me the most proffesional pilot but after the comments I have read on this thread, I look forward to hearing some peoples responses.