PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 31st Oct 2009, 16:32
Ditchdigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reference any "rush to judgement", as more facts are revealed, the number of possible explanations narrows.

As I pointed out in my first post in this thread, if they were NORDO, for whatever reason, but were situationally aware and flying the airplane, they had procedures to follow to land at their filed destination. The fact that they didn't, renders moot any speculation about the root cause being radio related. The explanation lies elsewhere.

As far as whether firing them is the best remedy or not, while I'm sure they'd never make the same (alleged), mistake again, what air carrier could afford to employ them, from a liability standpoint? Here's what the bean counters are thinking--if Sully himself had a black mark like this one on his record, the first questions that would be asked would have been, "Isn't that one of the guys that flew 150 miles past his destination? What was he distracted by this time, so that he didn't see those birds?"

The lawsuit happy nature of today's world is what it is. Deservedly so or not, (and of course barring some stunning, and heretofore unrevealed mitigating circumstances), I think these guys have poisoned any chance they have at meanigful employment in any passenger carrying mode of transportation.