PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 31st Oct 2009, 15:14
SDFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stumbled into an airfield (untowered) once with trafffic in the pattern and was completely NORDO because I had tuned in the wrong blasted frequency. Must have made at least four position calls into the ether before entering (I'm real big on radio communications, that's what the IR does for you .... ), didn't hear a sausage.

A profoundly embarrassing experience I can tell you. I finally figured out my stupid blunder after entering downwind behind some surprised aviator, got on the blower and apologized profusely to Traffic In the Pattern. Nobody said anything, prolly because I'd beaten myself up enough already on CTAF ......

"Radio check" is the way to go if you aren't sure, clearly. It probably didn't happen like this here but stuff like this does happen a lot and in commercial operations there are deep checks and balances, unlike in GA where I might have killed someone other than myself that day. Should I have lost my license for a month or something? I dunno, but I learned a heck of a lot on that day and thank everyone in the circuit for keeping me alive to benefit from it. Sometimes even professional pilots need to be reminded of certain matters - question is how big of a stick to use. The stick being used by FAA is too big IMO.

Last edited by SDFlyer; 31st Oct 2009 at 17:50.