PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 31st Oct 2009, 10:00
snaproll3480

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's the idea, but you, knowing the industry better, should remember in this industry merely you mess things up...
I think what you are saying is that when we mess up people die. This is a good example of how that isn't always true. I think that if you asked most pilots, they would say they learned more from making mistakes than from reading a manual. How many of you remember the first time you got a little lost at night trying to scud run home while building cross country time?

I don't know what the aversion is to admitting that we are human and do make mistakes. Pilots, next time you go fly, try to count every mistake that is made. I think you will find that there are a few but we have systems and SOPs in place to catch and mitigate those mistakes. Not all mistakes are fatal errors. In fact, it takes a series of mistakes to lead to a crash barring some catastrophic mechanical or structural failure, but even that could probably be traced to a series of errors elsewhere.

They made a mistake. Actually, I would say they displayed a serious lapse in judgment but no one got hurt and they are less likely to repeat that behavior ever again. Unfortunately, they will probably never have the chance to redeem themselves. A little training and discipline would straighten these guys out completely but because the media have a hold of it we have to crucify these guys to satisfy the masses.

Nothing good will come from this. All we will see is increased scrutiny over the other 99% of pilots who are solid professionals and don't need it. Complacency is a killer but hanging these guys won't prevent it.