PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'll never fly a LCC because...
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2009, 09:28
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ansett going broke was no help to me, I had my application on file with them at the time. I ended up overseas as did many ex Ansett pilots, and a sudden dumping of hundreds of jet drivers on the job market at once benefitted only the employers, many of them in this part of the world.

Had Ansett enjoyed competent management and a flexible workforce it might still be around today and Virgin Blue could have been another Compass.

Instead, the only airline left in Australia with traditional airline conditions is QANTAS, and they're under pressure from Virgin, Tiger and their own Jetstar. The race to the bottom is on. The demise of Ansett gave a massive ramp up to Virgin Blue with their reduced conditions and pay for your own rating deal.

Singapore Airline pilots negotiating position on their contract was weakened with the applications from well qualified candidates flooding in.

Ansett employees contributed to its down fall with inflexible working practices and rather queered the pitch for everyone else when they came onto the job market in large numbers. Especially when other airlines could point to them as an example of what could happen if changes weren't made in the employers favour.

Charles Darwin found that the animals best able to survive weren't the biggest or the strongest, but the most adaptable.

BTW I certainly staying over here, better pay, better opportunities, lower taxes and the profession of pilot is respected.